Airline Receives a Turnkey Solution to Manage a High Volume of Applicants
A major United States airline has gained enviable customer loyalty because of their reputation for top-notch customer service. With more than 55,000 employees on staff, the airline invests heavily in selecting the right candidates who will embrace and sustain their culture of service.
A popular brand received thousands of applicants for full-time customer service jobs every month — but struggled to screen and hire the best employees. In addition, they wanted to provide candidates with a quality experience to preserve their reputation as an employer of choice — a difficult task, given the high volume of applicants. Aerotek stepped in to provide an offsite Managed Resources solution that included staff, real estate, office resources and program management to expedite the hiring of quality candidates.
- 4,250 candidates phone-screened monthly
- 1,200 interviews scheduled per month
- Candidate quality goal surpassed by 17%
- OFCCP reporting standards supported
As a popular and growing brand, our customer was receiving thousands of applicants for its full-time positions every month — but the sheer volume of applications made hiring a challenge. The customer didn’t have the real estate, management capacity or internal infrastructure to screen the high volume of candidates. They wanted to work with a provider that could provide an end-to-end solution for screening candidates, from procuring office space to supplying and managing contract screeners, as well as evaluating the program’s success.
The customer had highly specific needs, including a standardized process for locating and contacting candidates, and high-quality interaction goals to preserve their brand as an employer of choice. They also operated under strict parameters to comply with Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) standards and reporting. To scale up hiring quickly while preserving a quality candidate experience, Aerotek recommended a Managed Resources solution.
Aerotek engaged our Managed Resources team to develop a plan for the processes, technology, resources and delivery model needed to screen full-time candidates for the client. We would manage procuring real estate, hiring and onboarding contract screeners, and managing their daily performance. Through this plan, we would bill the airline a flat monthly fee based solely on the volume of interview spots they needed to fill.
The client agreed to the plan and Aerotek got to work. Our delivery team comprised 28 contract screeners and a dedicated client engagement manager who workedat a site we procured. To deliver high-quality service within the client’s specific parameters, the program trained four senior-level team leads and five team captains to provide coaching and development for the contract screeners.
We committed to identifying and scheduling a high volume of high-quality candidates, with a goal of filling at least 90 percent of the client’s open interview times every month, and providing candidates the client would choose to offer a permanent to at least 35% of the time. We surpassed these goals through the following initiatives:
1. Enhanced Onboarding: Aerotek developed a formal orientation for all contract employees that included a company overview, contract employee procedures and education about how to succeed in the role. Each screener received an Aerotek computer and phone prior to starting their assignment.
2. Performance Optimization: Our Managed Resources team created performance measures to ensure the client’s expectations were met. Aerotek’s contract screeners were evaluated based on established KPIs and performance metrics that included:
- OFCCP and client-specific auditing
- 90% fulfillment of available interview times
- 35% of interviewed candidates selected for job offers
The client engagement manager established quarterly performance evaluations to provide 360-degree feedback to our team about their progress and a dashboard for them to track performance on a day-to-day basis.
3. Robust reporting: To help the client easily evaluate program success and spend, we developed weekly dashboard reviews and monthly reporting to provide 360-degree visibility, including:
- Project budget with burn rate
- Spend per contract employee
- Spend per project
- Overtime and paid time off tracking
- Exit interview feedback
- Performance management tracking
Aerotek consistently surpassed our commitments, allowing the airline to meet their hiring and quality interaction goals. The Managed Resources solution helped the airline manage fluctuations in their applicant pool and hiring needs as we ramped the program up or down quickly in response to changes. When a serious incident created an unexpected drop in available positions, we also worked with the client to modify the billing agreement to save them from paying for unneeded capacity.
The program surpassed service requirements to achieve these results:
- 4,250 candidates screened per month
- 1,200 interviews scheduled per month
- 41% of candidates we submitted for interviews received full-time offers (an increase of 17% over the goal of 35%)
A partner committed to continuous improvement is a key factor in the success of Managed Resources engagements. Aerotek is currently partnering with the client to develop and track call interaction quality metrics to help them protect and advance their brand as an employer — and airline — of choice. Our solution continues to help the airline achieve its goal of attracting top talent and providing world-class customer service to their customers.